Project B Reflection

This training was conducted over two days, on April 18th and 19th, 2017. I delivered the instruction to 4 Texas History classes, consisting of 113 students. The class period is 52 minutes long, and each training utilized the entire time of each class period.

I began the training by pre-teaching over the Great Depression. I felt that this was an important step in the process, because the students needed the prior knowledge of the Great Depression before completing the Digital Breakout.

The Slideshow consisted of 51 slides. There was three parts: Hoover and the Crash, Roosevelt and the New Deal, and Life in the Great Depression. The information was shown with pictures and students were able to take notes during the presentation. I decided on a Slideshow over Peardeck because of the length of the slideshow and the time. While teaching, I led a discussion about the pictures and answered questions as they arose.

The next class day, students met in the library where we had access to Macbooks. They were able to choose their own groups. The groups were made up of 3-4 students. When students received the computers, they logged in and went to Schoology, our learning management system. On Schoology they found the link to the Breakout website (https://sites.google.com/g.coppellisd.com/greatdepression/home). I only provided a few instructions directing them to the website. I did not help them in any other way, other than remind them to complete all of the activities. Students were able to click on the images and complete tasks to receive the codes to unlock the breakout. There were 4 tasks, and 4 distractors peppered throughout the website.

After completing the ADDIE model and Job Aid, I sent my document to my client and class peer reviewer. Unfortunately, I never heard back from my partner and did not receive feedback from him, but I did receive valuable feedback from my client. She suggested that I give the same survey after a more traditional, lecture-based activity/class and compare the data. She also suggested that I design the next breakout to be completed on iPads and evaluate how students respond.

Overall, I was very pleased with how the lesson and the Digital Breakout turned out. I thought it was interesting that I had some students complain that it was too easy, while others wanted it to be more straight forward. We are currently designing a second Breakout over Civil Rights and it will be a lot trickier. We are making the codes words that do not pertain to the lesson. I found that some students bypassed the quizzes and videos because they guessed the codes. I had to double check the Google forms to make sure they completed all of the components. I also felt that 4 students in a group made it too easy for the students to divide and conquer. Next time, I will group them in pairs. I would definitely do this activity again to increase student learning and engagement in my classroom.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s